The solar eclipse 2015 provided an acid test for a continent that has placed a big bet on renewable energy—but whose aging electricity grids could buckle under the strain of a sudden drop in solar power.
This is the effect measured on my own solar panels during the eclipse. While (due to clouds) barely visible to the naked eye, the production during the eclipse dropped dramatically.
During the eclipse on it’s max (10h30 till 10h40) the generated power dropped to 8 watt.
You can view the full stats here.
I bought myself a Plugwise system. The reason for this is that I can monitor my total power-usage, but I cannot see the details. I.e. : What is my refrigerator using? What is the freezer using? I can only see the sum of the total.
Plugwise made some nice hardware that allows you to monitor each device (or multiple devices behind on the same power-socket) to give you clear insight in the usage. Unfortunate sending and logging the information online will cost you a subscription.. I think for the price of the plugwise this should be a free service to store your data online for at least 2 years.
Continue reading Plugwise DIY monitoring PHP
It has been a while since my last post. But I have been working on something I waited for so long. I have a real smart-meter (instead of my previous Iskra ME162 digital meter that has no I/O ports that are active (infrared) or any other useable way to read out the meter without breaking the seal)
Continue reading DIY monitor for Smartmeter
As promised some time ago here is the post explaining how I use my Raspberry PI to monitor my SolarPanel Output. I use PHP for this mather.
When I bought my solar panels back in november 2012, I knew that i wanted a Raspberry to communicate with the Solar inverter and read out the values to store them in a database. My preferred language to use was PHP. I will show you how I did this.
First a summary of the equipment I used :
Continue reading PHP Solarpanel monitoring via Rasperry PI
2013 was, i want to believe, a good year for the my Solar panels (2750kw) . The year brought a lot of sun (for Dutch concepts). With a total of 2527.01 kWh and a total run time of 4227.56 hours I saved an equivalency of 200 gallons (757 litre) of gasoline, 1.5 Acre of forest and 0.668 tons of waste sent to the landfill.
More about my solar panels and how I read out the statistics from my inverter in a later blog. If you have any questions already you would like to see answered, let me know.
And, may 2014 be even more productive 🙂