I have a Synology 1512+ which is doing it’s job perfectly for my needs. Let me explain what was my situation and how it’s now (and how I did it) .. just in case whenever you cross the same situation.
The Synology 1512+ is a 5 bay diskstation running Linux as base. On top of that OS Synology made it’s own “Disk station Manager” called DSM. All these actions where performed with DSM v4.3.3810 Update 3. Any older version of DSM might not have the functions I described and used or might not recognize the new disks of this size.
My old disk layout was this
- DISK 1 en DISK 2 (Volume 1) are Western Digital WD20-EARS , 2TB Each. Mirrored as 1 volume to keep my most precious data safe. (These are actually desktop drives but they do well in NAS)
- DISK 3 (Volume 2) is a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003, 2TB which is real time synced over the internet (one direction) with a Synology 712+ . In this case my disk-3 is the offsite backup.
- DISK 4 (Volume 3) was a Seagate Barrucuda Green ST2000DL003, 2TB which hold my video’s and music.
So having this, and running out of disk space on DISK 4, and the fact that if the disk fails I loose my data I decided to start the new-year with a better setup. I have bought 2 x 4TB Western Digital WD40EFRX Red disks (especially designed to work in NAS systems to have as goal to create a new mirror set for my precious video and music collection and expand the disk space a bit more.
By all means I was sure to make a backup of my disk 4 first. And my only option to do this was to insert one of my new 4TB disks in Slot 5 and create a new volume. On this volume I made a new SHARED FOLDER. In this folder I copied all the data of the shared folders located on Disk 3. This took a few hours.
Now I have at least a copy of my data, so if anything goes wrong at least I can fix it. I removed disk 5 again after all data was copied and I inserted the other untouched 4TB disk. I configured DSM (in the Storage Manager) to expand the disks (to create a RAID 1) with this new disk. And so it did. It has been calculating the parity consistency for hours and when I woke up this morning it was done. So now I had a RAID 1 between disk 4 and 5 (except that this did not give me more space, so I wasn’t done yet.
Now it’s time for the tricky part. I have to remove disk 4 and replace that with my 4TB disk (that currently hold a backup of my data, but that’s ok, as DISK 4 is the original disk that will now be removed). When I place this 4TB disk in the Synology and booted it up again (it’s not hot swappable) the hell broke loose… blinking leds and a continuous beeping diskstation. E-mail alerts and SMS alerts entered my phone (I have it setup like that ).
Volume 3 on DiskStation has entered degraded mode. (Total number of hard disks: 2; Number of active hard disks: 1) Please identify the cause of degradation and take corrective action.
To repair the volume, please replace the defected disks with new ones.
So, what I did was a repair of the volume. Told the diskstation to use my 4TB disk in slot 4 as repair disk (all data will be destroyed, but that’s OK, my backup was already safely removed) and then the repairing of the parity consistency is starting. This is (again) a long process that takes several hours. At this point I have still only 2TB of my capacity available. So the next step will be expanding the volume to its full capacity.
Since the checking block-by-block of the new HD (4TB) takes ages, the next step (expanding the storage) will be done tomorrow. I will continue writing my results then.